In its MarketScope for Core Financial Management Applications 2009 report Gartner ranks among 10 Financial Application providers Exact, COA Solutions, Epicor, Infor, Lawson, Microsoft, Sage Group, and Unit4Agresso positive. Oracle and SAP have been rated as strong positive.
112 Reference Customers of the application vendors COA Solutions, Epicor, Exact, Infor, Lawson, Microsoft, Oracle, Sage Group, SAP and Unit4Agresso gave answers to 27 specific questions in four sections which covered
- Experience with Implementing and using the core financial management applications
- Experience in wording with the vendor, and their service and support capabilities
- How well the applications had supported change in their business
- Value for money and cost of ownership
The rating results
Overall, the interviewed Reference Customers have been very satisfied with the application in use. Just over 80% of the respondents were either positive or strong positive and none was strong negative.
(For the interpretation of the rating please see the explanation at the very end of this article)
Only vendors that fulfil the following 6 inclusion & exclusion criteria have been rated:
- Provide a suite of financial management applications that includes (at least) GL, AP, AR and FA.
- Provide financial management applications that are suitable for any organization regardless of industry.
- Target their financial applications at midsize and/or large organizations.
- Have at least 100 live users that have bought & implemented the application
- Generated at least $25 million in revenue
- Live customers in more than one of the regions North America, South America, EMEA, APAC
What Gartner says about Exact
“Exact has several SMB accounting offerings that are sold on a local, country-specific basis, along with ERP solutions for midsize companies, such as Exact Macola ES and Exact Globe. However, the primary midmarket financial management applications are part of the Exact Globe ERP suite. These are suitable for midsize organizations, but they also have strong international capabilities.”
Gartner also surveyed several new Software-as-a-service (SaaS) vendors (CGI, Deltek, Intacct, NetSuite, Twinfield and Workday). There is no information or evaluation on Exact Online in this report by Gartner.
Although none of these vendors met the inclusion criteria for this MarketScope, Gartner anticipates that they will start gaining more market shares as their solutions mature and gain a wider customer base during the next two to five years.
Gartner confirms that midsize companies are starting to deploy SaaS based core financial applications, but still sees companies having concerns about security and integration with on-premises applications.
Nevertheless, the SaaS vendors will not disrupt this market in the next five years because the existing solutions are so well-established and functionally mature.