Exact Synergy Android app in the Android Market NOW!

We are in the Android Market! After some months of hard work and dedication we are proud to introduce the Android app for Exact Synergy.

In last month’s blog post, I informed you what we are working on and what to be expected from the Android app. Now it’s your turn! Download the App NOW and let us know what you think about it. It’s free for Exact Synergy and Synergy Enterprise users! Don’t forget to tell all your colleagues, so they can also have it.

The Android app has about the same functionality as the iPhone 1.0 with several small enhancements in it. A selection of the available functionality and the requirements is shown below

Available functionality:

• Access to your workflow
  • Manage your own schedule and view schedules of colleagues
  • View, process, create or edit requests
  • Access customers’ information and communications. Directly call or email them or plan your route
  • Access basic colleague information and directly call or email them Book your expense claim by making a picture of your receipt. The expenses can be linked to a project or account
  • Easily confirm and enter billable time which will directly enter the billing process
  • Apply for your vacation

Requirements

For the app to work, you need to fulfill these requirements:

• Exact Synergy Enterprise (as of Product update 244) or Exact Synergy (as of version 397). You will have the best experience when you have updated your Synergy (Enterprise) environment October 2011 or later. If you want to do a manual installation, please follow these steps (log-in to Exact customer portal required).
  • Android release 2.1 or above

The Android App is available for all user licenses in Exact Synergy Enterprise. In Exact Synergy it is available for professional users.

Happy apping! I look forward to your feedback.

Tags: ,

• Gert-Jan van Krevelen

Nice first release, a good start.

Things I’d like to see:
    – more info in the workflow list, especially the date of the request (and maybe some more info in a popup menu when you press the item), now I need to open the request to see what it’s about.

– More clear indication of the action that i need to perform on the request. And if I need to perform an action, why do I need to take the steps: edit, select status, change status, press done, and press done again. Why not just a context menu when I press the status which let me choose of the action like approve or reject?

– Mandatory fields when performing an action on the request are not clear

– When creating a new request, group the request types by category, that would make it more clear

– When creating a request, and you need to select something like a person or an account, don’t start with loading the list. Especially with things like customers,. projects and items, most of the time you won’t be able to select it directly from the list but need to search for it. Make it faster by leaving the list empty at start. And I don’t even want to think of selecting a request of document to link to the request

– i’d love to see the agenda integrated into the android calender so you have your private appointments and the work agenda combined together, without the need of synching the agenda to exchange

– it’s nice you can show the address on a map, but it takes a bit too much clicks. Why not use a context menu on the account card and give the option in there to display the address on the map.

Just a few things I think of when I look at the app, but it’s sure a nice start!

• Ronald

Very, very nice :)

• Martijn Logtenberg

Why is there no option for reports (sneak preview) just as the recently new release of the Apple App?

Goal is to deliver the sneak preview for reports later. iPhone app is an update vesion, the Android is a first release.

Some users reported issues with logging in: authentication failed. Current version (1.01) does not remove spaces. This means that when you type your username or password followed with an empty space, authentication will fail.
    example: ‘Username ‘ will give you an error, where ‘Username’ will allow you to login. We will adjust this behavior in a next version

• SD Meijer

My Android-devices doesn’t have access to the Android Market.
    Are there other places (like the Amazon app-store, to which I have access) where I can download this app?

• Douwe Wietze de Boer

When I drop username, domain, password and webaddress continiously I got the message
    Ërror. Authentication failed, review the credentials.
    Any idea?

Hi SD Meijer,

I don’t know yet what it will mean to distribute the App via places other then the Android Market. Can you tell me why in your case you can’t use the Android Market?

Hi Douwe,

Did you check my reply from 11 October?
    Also, today i published an update of the App, version 1.0.1. No visial changes, but a small change to setting up connection to excotic environments. Can you try if one of these 2 is a solution for your problem?

• SD Meijer

Hi Martin,
    I have an Android-device which isn’t approved by Google and therefore doesn’t have the Market-app.
    But it’s still Android and I can install apk-files
    Most of the apps are also available in the Amazon Android Store and I use this for getting my apps.
    But providing the apk-file in another way is also an option for me.

At this moment we don’t have plans to publish the Android app in other markets. I am also not completely sure what are the conditions that a device is not supported by Android Market. If you have any info for me about that, would be great.

• Douwe Wietze de Boer

Hi Martin,

I have de-installed the app and then again installed. Unfortunatly the same meassages appear.

• Johnny Wang

Hi Martin,

I really like the app, thanks for your great creation. However I met an issue when I am testing on it.

I am using Samsung PAD and Samsung Mobile Phone to do the test.
    PAD: Samsumg GT-P7300, with Android 3.1
    Mobile Phone: Samsung i9000, with Android 2.2

For both of machines, I tested them under different networks includes internal wifi, external wifi, and 3G, the downloading/reading of workflow are OK for all networks, but the uploading/rediting of workfolw are good only for internal wifi and 3g. For the external wifi network it doesn’t work.

Could you advice me on the issue?

• Geert van Gesink

Hi Martin,

Nice product, we tested the Android version and have the following comments:

Can you add an option to filter in the accounts on Active accounts only ?

The Employee list scrolable like the accounts.

More details visible via the employee list. Picture visiblle ?

Create new request: show requests grouped by category.

• Johnny Wang

Does it have a requirement of IIS?

Hi Hanjie,

I don’t know what is going wrong there, but it should not matter whether you use 3G, internal or external wifi. You should be able to do all your work at Starbucks.

Only thing you could try is to play with the domain. Did you fill in a domain at your login details? maybe adding it there or remove it might work, but that is just a wild guess. if this doesn’t work, i guess it has to do something with your network…. but also that is a wild guess.

if the problem remains, please contact your support representative.

Hi Geert,

we are looking into a couple of the suggestions you made in your reply. Creation of request should become easier. we are thinking about showing the 10 most used request on top just like in Synergy. For account: good point let me look into that. Picture on the cards is a nice feature as well. it’s on the list, but not most important thing at this moment.

About the employee list: I would rather change the account list to what is the employee list right now. why do you want to scroll through your accounts or employees?

Looking forward to your feedback.