How to schedule replication when Exact Globe and Exact Synergy are in different, non-trusted, domains
In situations where Exact Globe and Exact Synergy are installed in 2 different domains, the replication between these 2 environments will not be possible out-of-the-box simply because the user, under whose credentials Exact Globe is approached, isn’t recognized as a valid user in the other Exact Synergy domain. This situation can occur when Exact Globe is ran on-premise (at the customer’s site) and Exact Synergy is ran in an external or hosted environment.
This document will give a step-by-step description how to enable replication between Exact Globe and Exact Synergy in such a situation.
In this example, we’re using the following data:
SQL server of Exact Globe : SQL_Server_DomainA
Database of Exact Globe: 001
User Name: Henry@DomainA.com
Exact Synergy Enterprise
User Name: John@DomainB.com
Windows Server 2008
If the server, on which you want to schedule the replication task, is Windows 2008, the steps are as follows:
1. Log in to the operating system OS as the user under whose credentials the scheduled replication (Asimport.exe) will run. This user will need to have sufficient rights in Exact Globe to perform XML replication and update data. In our example, this is user Henry@DomainA.com.
2. Go to Control Panel -> Internet Options -> Security -> Trusted sites -> Sites and add the Synergy URL, https://Synergy.DomainB.com, to the list of trusted sites
3. Go to Control Panel -> Internet Options -> Security -> Trusted sites -> Custom level and check under User Authentication -> Logon that the option Automatic logon with current user name and password is enabled.
4. Go to Control Panel -> Credential Manager -> Add a Windows credential and enter the following:
- Internet or network address: Synergy.DomainB.com
- User name : John@DomainB.com and his password
Note 1: this means if the password for John in Domain B is changed, you will also need to change the password in the Credential manager.
5. Close all Internet browser screens
6. Test the configuration in a new browser by going to the URL https://Synergy.DomainB.com. If everything was configured correctly, the browser will login directly to the Synergy website, without prompting for login credentials.
7. Create a new Windows scheduled task to run the replication (Asimport.exe) using the user name and password of Henry@DomainA.com
The syntax, using our example, for a scheduled task to replicate Accounts would be:
“C:\Program Files\Exact Globe\bin\AsImport.exe” -r SQL_Server_DomainA -D001 -u -~ I -URLhttps://Synergy.DomainB.com -TAccounts -OPT18 –Oauto
Windows Server 2003
If the server, on which you want to schedule the replication task, is Windows Server 2003, only step 4 is slightly different:
4. In Windows Server 2003, you’ll need to go to Control Panel à Stored User Names and Passwords and enter the same data as described above under step 4.
A special credit to Parentix for their help and input on this blog post.