Nothing Gonna Break My Stride

Written by Michiel Dorjee on . Posted in Exact Synergy

They say multitasking is just bad for you (try this Google search, for example), and it is better to stay focused, ignoring distractions.

But one problem is when you decide yourself to multitask, another problem is when the software tool you are using forces you to stop your activity and switch to a completely different one in order to achieve your goal.

Naturally, when working on Synergy Enterprise, we want to make your workflow as streamlined as possible. Still there are many tricky everyday cases when, for example, you are creating a request and suddenly realise that you need a new document. Or you are creating a new project and find out that an account you want to link the project to is not yet there.

What do you do in such cases? Do you open a new Synergy Enterprise window to create a missing entity and then go back to the new request or project?

In case you do, remember that there is a better way to avoid such evil multitasking: watch the new Synergy Enterprise tip video for details!

(The video is created by Exademy, and the image is courtesy of 43 Folders.)

• Emile

Great functionality, one important entity missing though…the Contact person can not (yet) be created on the fly, would be a usefull enhancement as well. :-)

• Vladimir Bataev

Thanks, point taken!

• Synergy User

How about this issue…. maybe slightly unrelated but nevertheless a problem with Synergy Workflow.

I create a workflow request for CAPEX and I am using Purchase Limit to control who can approve the request. At Divisional Level the General Managers limit is set to £10,000 and any CAPEX request over this amount has to be referred to Corporate for approval. So what happens when I create for a CAPEX for £5001.00? I have no user defined with a purchase limit who can approve in the division – so the request cannot be submitted.

Question – How can I create cross division/corporate requests? I don’t want other users in the divisions viewing CAPEX requests that dont relate to them.

This is Breaking My Stride!!

• Synergy User

Sorry the GM’s Purchase Limit is £5000 otherwise the request would be able to be approved

• Another Synergy User

Hi Synergy user – It works how you want it to (I think) if you indicate in the approval step that it should be approved by the resource’s manager. Then if the manager doesn’t have sufficient purchase limit it automatically flows to their manager (as long as they have a sufficient purchase limit) and on up the heirarchy. The manager’s manager doesn’t have to be in the same division (so it is likely it would be the corporate level eventually depending on how you’ve got your hierarchy set up).

I agree with you that it should work the same way when using roles but doesn’t seem to or there should be an option about what to do if no one exists to approve it like there is in the document type functionality.

I don’t know how many CAPEX requests you are dealing with but one possible solution may be to route the approval through a ‘Project Manager’ or ‘Project Members’. You could also then allow them to assign ownership if approval was needed elsewhere.

• Synergy User

Hi Another Synergy User – Many thanks for your reply. I will have a play around the Project Members suggestion as this could be a possible solution – The problem I have is that the GM’s manager at corporate level does not approve CAPEX requests it’s done by the FD at corporate level.

I’ll let you know if I have a success…maybe getting close to Nothing Gonna Break My Stride!

• Synergy User

Tried Project Members but not a solution.. will manage it using a short term fix with an ESS user and Event Manager