Synergy Office integration gets performance boost

Microsoft Office, especially Outlook and Word, is widely used every day to create most of the content we make. A lot of this content is interesting or important enough to share it within your organization or eco-system.  Sharing these kinds of documents only happens when it is easy. For this, we introduced Synergy Office Integration (SOI), which has a tight integration between Microsoft Office and Synergy Enterprise.  SOI works on Office 2007 and we are working to support Office 2010 later this year.

SOI is used by our customers for about a year now. During this year we got a lot of positive feedback and some points of attention. We got a couple of requests to boost performance; the time to save an email or document to Synergy enterprise. In some environments this took too long and we decided to make this a focus area.

Lost couple of weeks we investigated the process of saving a document and booked some great results. In all situations we achieve a good performance boost, in some situations even up to 150%. If we compare the overall performance of Synergy Office Integration with its predecessor (Synergy office Add in), saving a document takes about 20% time less.

The performance boost is available as of product update 242. If you already run product update 242, please update to latest 242 version available.

For more information about SOI or to view a demo video, see the blog: Integration of Exact Synergy Enterprise with MS Outlook and other MS Office applications

Tags: , , , ,

• Exact User

Good to hear that Exact are listening and reacting to customers concerns although I have t be honest I haven’t noticed any change in the performance and saving emails takes anywhere between 15 and 30 seconds! sometimes longer……

Look forward to seeing future enhancements with SOI

• Bert van Vreumingen

Sorry to say I didn’t notice any difference either.
    But I guess that’s because I only tried Synergy Ent. on a stand-alone system (32bit, Win7).
    Starting up Synergy in the webbrowser takes a very long time, starting Word, Excel or Outlook with SOI takes 3 to 5 minutes each.
    So, I disabled it in all Office and will only enable it again when I want to demonstrate it. For sure I will then explain that this pour performance is due to the stand-alone installation!

• Exact User

Although I mentioned saving emails takes a while to upload I also like Bert have noticed that Word and Outlook takes ages to startup with SOI active – is this due to the logging in to the Synergy Ent enviroment???

Sorry to hear that apparently in some environments performance did not boost. After reading your feedback, I checked myself how much time it takes to save an email. Saving an email to our live system takes me about 2-3 seconds. So there must be a difference somewhere. Did you upload to latest 242 environment and installed latest SOI version? If you did, please contact me or our support desk, so we can see where it goes wrong.

About starting up time, this is one item we are looking into.
    it is related to the remember function that tries to make a connection to Synergy. we have noticed that after a reboot logging in can take longer, but we have never experienced start up times that takes 3 -5 minutes.

• Arno

Isn’t it better to let go the idea that we have to install an application in an application?

We are working still with the classic add-in and I know this is different, but, we have lots of different little problems. Sometimes it works well for a long time and sometimes it gives us problems which solves themselves. We call that instable :-)

Why don’t you integrate office like it’s design to be? So, for example in Word, if we choose File > Safe as > (only) the possibilitie to save in Synergy. It sounds a bit like Sharepoint, I know, but the usability will be a lot better I guess.

Synergy Office Integration (SOI) still needs to be installed in the Office application. It is not unusual to do that and makes the possibilities richer.

With SOI we made big steps forward compared to Office integration. It is much easier to use, (de)installation is controlled by MSI. In SOI saving a document become much easier. There is a big ‘save’ button in the home ribbon. Saving a document takes you only 1 click

Hi All,

Thanks for the feedback on the blog post.
    I would like to share that based on your feedback on this blog we have changed the log in procedure of Synergy Office Integration.

I will write a new blog about this when it is general available. Most important: SOI will no longer (try to) connect to Synergy environment during start up of the Office application. This is what resulted in long start up times. Log in is now done first time user uses SOI.

• Frank

Just wondering… will SOI also come available for the Office 2010 64 bit version?

We are currently working to support Synergy Office Integration for Office 2010. We will support 64 bit operating system, but not 64 bit Office version. Currently also Microsoft will install 32 bit Office version on 64 bit operating system.

• Joost

I think the “save as” feature still has a lot of problems. Often Outlook hangs up itself when trying to use the “save as” option in SOI.
    I hope there will be some Issue solving documents soon, like with the old Office Add-in

Hi Joost,

this week we finished a project for SOI. goals were:
    – Support Office 2010
    – Improve performance
    – Install SOI per machine (especially in Citrix/Terminal Server environment this was requested)

These adjustments are planned to be available in September in the versions 242, 243 and 244.
    If you still run into this issue with the new version, please contact me. For now i would suggest to contact your support department, because the scenario you describe is not normal.