Easily upload a set of files

Written by Edgar Wieringa on . Posted in Exact Synergy

In this short post I just want to share on one of the less well-known features of Exact Synergy; the possibilty to upload a set of files into seperate documents or a single document. Or so called bulk upload. Not so well known but really easy for instance to upload a set of pictures from a project meeting.

Now with all these camera phones this is usually a lot easier than to have the notes typed out, and as an image paints a …. you do not loose the creative thoughts.

Last night I was looking for inspiration to come to a simple and easy to use, one search box for Synergy, via the bulk upload I uploaded the screenshots into a single project document. Perhaps the bulk upload is also of help to you!? Leave me a reply on scenarios you use it for (or if you have some inspiration on the one search box :-) )

Are you interested in using this? You will find it in the Document menu via ‘Entry – Bulk upload’, the wizard will assist you comfortably. Your Synergy version should be at least 240 to find the bulk upload in your Synergy menu.

Image credits for the bulk carrier: dioramadays.com.

Tags: ,

Edgar Wieringa

I enjoy building software that supports your business' goals and people love to use. Hobbies: cooking, food, travelling, reading and running. Follow my work on http://twitter.com/edjewie

• Bert van Vreumingen

One of my clients will import a thousand documents to a few hundreds of projects, separated into 4 or 5 different document types.
    Bulk upload helps, but it’s still a mighty load of work, because of the different projects and doc.types.

Would be nice if the bulk upload could ‘read’ the name of the folder containing the original documents and parts of the name of the document itself and take these to determine which project and which doc.type to use.

• Christian Ibetsberger

A single search field would be a great help. Hopefully you mean not just a single entry field but also merging different types of information.

Two examples what s really missing:

– account search: you cannot search company name and fullname of contacts at once. If you are on the phone you do not always understand company name and persons last name or you cannot tell which is which. you search for what you unterstood. Exact should search contacts and accounts and list all matches.
    example: “Smith” could mean John Smith, as company Exact as well as Mr. Meyer, at company Smith ans sons, (Maybe if you are big as Exact this is too much information but most customers will prefer it. Maybe we will be able to choose how account search works in future.)

-document search: In Support you often have to look for ressources (example error messages etc). You might find a document to that topic or ther might be a support request in history already. Now you have to search two times, because you cannot search request and documents at once. This also would be a great ease.

I very appreciate that Exact deals with the search topic. With an excellent software to gain access to various information I think users should have more choices to actually search and display that information. (with contact/account search beiing the most important).

Synergy (ASP) hat more search choices in the source code but as far as I know, there was no user interface to influence the search behaviour. (example: you could choose to display all contacts in account search which gives a faster access to contacts telephone and phone numbers – especially for account with many contacts)

Maybe you want to adress me directly to that subject via mail… greetings, Chris

• Scott Leete

@Bert van Vreumingen. There is an program from Exact called “The Synergizer” that can look at a folder, file names etc. and upload the documents appropriately in Exact Synergy or Synergy Enterprise. You may want to investigate that for your client.

• Rafael Ruiz

I think that the document related topics are the most complex within Exact Synergy, and therefore, this module has to be improved from his actual model in Synergy.

Why you dont look for solutions like NetApp, in which you save only the changes within the document and not the entire file? This could save a lot of time and resources when you access and save a modified document.

Great work by the way !

• Edgar Wieringa

@Christian,

I am afraid for now I mean a single search bow however a ‘per topic’ search. I see your room for improvement only for now I just can’t commit to it. In a following blog post I will share on an idea we have to make searching for accounts more dynamic

• Gary@VCD

How about BULK DOWNLOAD? What if you need to e-mail multiple Synergy documents to a customer? Idea: incorporate a “Download” button on searchresultscreen, and on resultscreen following the monitorbutton on entitycards. Would be a big help!

• Edgar Wieringa

@Gary,

Thanks for the reply. We also got your back covered here. Exact Synergy Enterprise comes with a document downloader. An app you install seperately. It is kind of like the search build-in you mention, we however had to build it in a seperate app due to restrictions of internet browser.

You will find it in the ‘System menu, Setup'” ‘Installation: Exact Synergy Enterprise Document Downloader’.

Looking forward to hear on your findings,

Edgar

• Gary@VCD

Edgar, Thanks for the tip. I was under the impression that only the html is downloaded, but as I see now, the attachments are downloaded too! Tip: automatically create a subfolder per Type, Project, Item or Customer when these are used for the selection.

Any limitations as to file-size? Some customers upload very large attachments…

Still, I’d love to see it as a button in de the searchresults-screens. But this helps for now.

• Edgar Wieringa

The button within the web app is really a no-can-do. Or do not want to do. Unless we would settle for installing some stuff locally by the browser or plugins or limited download size. Hence we chose for the client app. As far as I recall there is no limitation to size but we have it for a while so my memory is a bit rusty.

Thanks for the tip also,

Edgar

• social media strategy template

Hello Dear, are you genuinely visiting this web site daily,
    if so after that you will without doubt obtain fastidious experience.