Multi-browser support of Exact Synergy Enterprise

Written by Michiel Dorjee on . Posted in Exact Synergy

Exact sees an increase in the usage of internet browsers other than Microsoft IE in its customer-base. This may increase further after Microsoft press release last week that they’ll be shipping Windows 7 with a ballot screen, allowing Windows 7 users to select their preferred internet browser.
As a result of this trend in adoption of other browsers, Exact has started developing multi-browser support for Exact Synergy Enterprise. This will be delivered in pieces to the market during the quarterly product updates where each product update will see an improved level of support for browsers other than IE.

We’ve started in 242 by removing a check that Exact Synergy Enterprise can only be started by users with an IE browser. In 243, scheduled for general availabiltiy in April 2010, we’ve made several adjustments ‘under the hood’ that give us a good starting point for further enhancing Synergy Enterprise with multi-browser support. You may already notice these improvements in i.e. the request area.

Via this blog we’ll keep you updated of what the next areas will be that have multi-browser support in upcoming product updates of Exact Synergy Enterprise.

Tags: , , , ,

• Barry van der Meij

Just tested Synergy on Mozilla Firefox 3.6 and handling workflow seems to be working really fine in pre release of 243!!

Viewing all parts also works, zo for an average user working with Synergy by using Firefox should work fine.

Only thing which still does not work is creating and editing document, something I can imagine, Firefox will probably need another document editor for that.

Keep up the good work, I will try Chrome later on and update you here!

• Ronald Voets

Barry, thanks for the nice comments. You have noticed that even though we focused to make requests multi-browser capable, other areas within Synergy beenfit as well from this since we’re making the changes on shared system layer components :-)

I’m sure you’ll not be surprised that after 243, our next area to focus on for multi-browser is documents.

• Jurgen de Jong

Good job! A lot of customers will be very pleased!

Though I’m wondering if these adjustments have any influence on earlier made customizations in the Synergy Enterprise layout (.css)?

Keep up the good work!

• Ronald Voets

Hi Jurgen,

without knowing exactly what adjustment were made it’s hard to give an answer to your situation. In general I can say that as a part of the multi-browser support we also do quite some html clean-up so it complies with common standards.
    End of March we’ll go into controlled release and every Exact partner or controlled release participant can see the results for themselves.

• Heiko van der Vlugt

Great! We all work on Macbooks here, so I’m happy that a don’t have to use VM anymore for daily work. @Ronald: check our new iPhone Synergy app, will soon be available.

• Martijn Weisbeek

@Jurgen: Within Exact Synergy the CSS-files are mainly used for changing fonts and colors, not for layout purposes. It is to be expected that these customizations still work after the changes Exact is currently making. Your efforts can even work cross-browser in 243, because Synergy will be more standards compliant at that time.

Good to see this coming, because I hardly use Internet Explorer anymore (only when I need to use Exact Synergy).

• Menno Verbon

A long awaited feature. Our Mac customers will be very happy.
    Keep on the good work.

• Christian Ibetsberger

Multi-browser support will certainly be a real advantage, not only in the office. With all that different browsers/operating systems on smartphones customers will have more choices if they want to use Synergy mobile.

I was at a prospect yesterday & noticed half of the users, use Chrome, the other IE. I cannot wait, I have been personally using Firefox w IE Tab & planning to use Chrome.

• Exact User

Does this mean that the current issues with other browsers will be eliminated? I use Chrome but it’s not very user friendly at the moment for Synergy Classic or Enterprise and therefore use IE for Synergy.

Are you able to indicate the type of hurdles that had to be overcome to make the other browsers compatable?

• ronals voets

@Exact user that’s exactly what we’re working on: make Synergy Enterprise suitable for users with browsers other then IE. Wé’ve delivered parts in 242, parts in 243 and will continue to change other areas in Synergy Enterprise over the course of 2010.

What hurdles we had to overcome? It’s mainly the fact that Synergy Enterprise has been developed on the Microsoft technology stack and only had to support IE, So over the past years several functions have been built in that happen to be not supported in other browsers. Think i.e. VB scripts,

• marc gobes

Exact, is there any development planned for browser compatibility and Enterprise Classic ?

• marc gobes

Sorry, I mean offcourse Synergy Classic.

• Ronald Voets

Hi Marc,

This is not planned.

Ronald

• Frank Voncken

That would be great! At home I like to have access to Exact Synergy to do a job at home. However, in Linux (Ubuntu) there is no Microsoft IE. Hence, multi-browser support is more than welcome! Or do I make a mistake? Is the multi-browser support not suitable for browsers within Linux?

• Jonathan

Hi Frank,

We’re currently focusing on these few ‘popular’ browsers, with their respective rendering engines in parentheses:
    1) IE (Trident)
    2) Firefox (Gecko)
    3) Chrome/ Safari (WebKit)

Linux users have a gamut of browsers to choose from, so the general rule is, if the browser is based on one of the rendering engines above, chances are it’ll work. The 3 engines above cover most popular browsers for Linux, with the exception of Konqueror.

Having said that, our main focus is currently multiple browser support on Windows, but we will also look at other platforms.

• Christian V

Hi,
    I think it´s a great improvement to offer multiborwser function.
    I´ve just tested ESE 243 in Mozilla Firefox 3.6.3, and I was able to navigate through workflow and perform search, but when I wanted to create or edit a document, I would only get the One Moment Please screen.
    Just need a few adjusmentss I guess.

Keep it up!

• Jeroen van der Zande

I have been waiting for some time now and I am glad to hear that efforts are initiated to support multiple browsers. Currently on batch 244 and Safari (Mac and Windows) I conclude that workflow and most forms that support searches are not yet implemented. It seems that storing user preferences in those particular situations does not yet work.
    Is there a roadmap on how and when various browser support will be completed ?

• Safari

Just tested Synergy Enterprise on an iPad (safari).
    This is an opportunity!
    It looks and feels great on a big screen that just needs seconds to start and is not that present as a laptop during a conversation with p.e. clients.
    However not all features work. Second pop up (p.e. browse for items in a new reuest) will result in a safari warning: pop up for this site is blocked.
    Many of my customers want to go to work with the iPad/Synergy. Is there any view of possible solutions on short terms?

• Erik